About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Darryll and I live in Pullman, Washington with my wife and two kids. I'm a licensed Architect and am employed as a Project Manager at Washington State University. In addition, I have my own business doing residential designs in the greater Palouse area. I am a self-taught pianist, song-writer and singer and am involved in the music department at my local church.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

Love That Long Hair!

Didn’t we all have long hair back in the ‘70s? I think that I was in my early teens when I started growing mine out – much to my mom’s chagrin. Up to that point, my brother and I had sported a large variety of haircuts.


When I was young, probably up until 2nd or 3rd grade, it was the buzz cut. So easy for mom to do… grab the clippers, put on the shortest attachment and shave away!


As we became more self conscious about what was cool in hair styles (and since it corresponded with the popularity of the Beatles) we all had bangs. And also – with Star Trek so popular, we all had “sideburns” (hair hanging down in front of our ears. We have a LOT of great pictures of these Beatles/Spock blended haircuts.


Somewhere along we started to really grow it out – I remember that at one time my hair was as long in front as it was in back… It was down to my chin! I had the real possibility of giving myself a serious neck injury due to the fact that I always had to cock my head to one side and flip my head to keep the hair out of my eyes.


I believe that it was when I was a junior in high school – and just prior to getting my first job – that I finally gave in to my mom’s persistent nagging and went to get a haircut at a “beauty school”. I remember it so well. It was embarrassing enough that I had to go to a beauty school, let alone that I had to have my beautiful locks shorn. Immediately following, I was sure that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. My friends who had yet to go “under-the knife” all let me know that I had “dorked out”, and I could only offer them that I knew I had made a mistake and I would let it grow out again.


Of course, I didn’t – and most of my friends eventually got their hair cut, too. And we all sported those feathered haircuts all the rest of the ‘70s. But that’s part of what made the decade so great!

No comments: