About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Darryll and I live in Pullman, Washington with my wife and two kids. I'm a licensed Architect and am employed as a Project Manager at Washington State University. In addition, I have my own business doing residential designs in the greater Palouse area. I am a self-taught pianist, song-writer and singer and am involved in the music department at my local church.

Friday, October 23, 2009

Halloween, Part 1

So – This will be a multi-post story. With Halloween coming up, this is the perfect time to tell of my greatest Halloween escapade ever. This is a story about a great idea that some friends and I had; a story about a bunch of guys getting together and really putting some effort into a project just for laughs; a story about having some of the most fun I’d ever had on a Halloween, a story about maybe having a little too much fun; and a story about love, passion, sacrifice, deceit and murder… Ok, maybe not the love, passion, etc. – I just threw that in to see if you were paying attention.


In 1975, a movie came out called “Rollerball” starring James Caan. You can read the IMBd on it here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/, or for a more in depth (including spoilers) review, go to Wikipedia. It was a movie set in 2018 (not so far away, now) where an international roller-derby type game determined corporate world dominance in basic human needs on a global basis. You’ll have to read the synopsis to better understand the movie, but the point that applies to this story is that the players on the Houston Rollerball team had these great uniforms.


The skaters were basically geared up like football players on roller-skates. And by the way, there were no such things as roller-blades back then, so get your mind wrapped around the old hockey skate style footwear.
The sport was a violent one so the uniforms were not only a form of protection but were also made for inflicting bodily damage. They were accessorized with sharp steel spiked gloves. Check out the movie poster to see what I mean.


We decided that it would be incredibly cool to recreate the uniforms as costumes for Halloween. Little did we know the work we had gotten ourselves into, the fun we were going to have, or the experience in which we would ultimately be involved.

Stay tuned for the next installment.

No comments: