About Me

My photo
Hi, I'm Darryll and I live in Pullman, Washington with my wife and two kids. I'm a licensed Architect and am employed as a Project Manager at Washington State University. In addition, I have my own business doing residential designs in the greater Palouse area. I am a self-taught pianist, song-writer and singer and am involved in the music department at my local church.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Good Comedy Show from the '70s

There was a great comedy show that was on in the '70s.  My brother and I loved this show and would laugh until we just about died.  We loved to recite the skits all the time and still crack each other up today with the same lines.

If you guessed SNL back when Blushi, Ackroyd, Curtain, Chase, etc. were on and it was good - well, that would be a good guess!  But - not right.  Or - if you guessed Monty Python and the Flying Circus, that would also be a great guess.  BTW - I got the entire set of CD's of all the episodes of that for a birthday awhile back - THAT was a great gift!  But, no - that also isn't right.

No - I'm talking about a great little show that came out of Canada... SCTV (Second City TV).  It was comedy concept show about the programs and behind-the-scenes shenanigans of a cheesy, low-budget TV station.  It starred John Candy, Eugene Levy, Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis, Catherine O'Hara, Harold Ramis, Martin Short and Dave Thomas.  It was incredibly funny and very off-the-wall.  They just had canned audience laughter which just added to the uniqueness of it.

Check out this video... Their take on Perry Como getting a little too relaxed in his performances.


Anyway - it was a great show with a kind of cult following at the time.  I highly recommend it - there are Youtube videos to watch and boxed sets that you can buy on the web.  If you're looking for a Christmas gift for someone who like the show, they're not too expensive!  It may be an acquired taste, but I think it's Great stuff!





2 comments:

Marco said...

Absolute Classic.
Up here in Canada, you and you're brother would fit in quite nicely and don't be surprised if you recite a quote and someone finishes it for you :). We had a second city theatre here in Toronto and I think there might still be one in Chicago.

My personal favorite was Bob & Doug Mackenzie. I'm going to go listen to their version of 12 days of christmas now.

Take off eh!

Blast from the Past said...

You Hoser!

Coo ooo coo coo coo coo coo coo, Coo ooo coo coo coo coo coo coo (that's hard to write!)

We totally loved watching all the funny stuff on Second City. We constantly throw one-liners at each other: "tirteen, tirteen", "They blowed up real good", "You from Jersey?", "Shut up, Patu!"

good day, eh!